Principal's Message for April
Do not be afraid! I know you are seeking Jesus the crucified. He is not here, for He has been raised just as He said. (Matt. 28:5-6)
These words from Matthew’s Gospel highlight a significant reminder for us during our Lenten journey - to not live in fear for God is with us always. My hope and prayer for all those in our STMC faith and learning community that this Easter season be one of renewal in our relationship with God. I hope all of you have a wonderful and blessed Easter holiday.
There are a number of things I want to inform you about:
- This week our Gr. 11 & 12 students participate in the annual overnight Retreats. These Retreats, while facilitated by our staff, have some incredible student leadership which accounts for the tremendous success of these experiences.
- The drama production, High School Musical, was a huge success and much thanks must go to Ms. Webber, Mrs. Chinnapen, Mr. Lui and Mr. Shoemaker for all of their efforts.
- Staff Update: Just a word about the three teachers who have been and are currently undergoing treatment for various form of cancer. Mrs. Balouchi is continuing her treatments and has been able to resume her part-time duties; Mr. Steele remains at home recovering from his surgery but is hopeful about a return to his duties prior to the conclusion of the school year. Mr. Kully is currently undergoing intensive treatments and remains extremely positive and grateful for all the prayers and kindness he has received from the STMC community.
- With regards to Mr. Kully and mindful of his present situation, it has taken longer than anticipated in finding an interim Head Coach to take over the Sr. Boys Football team. We thank you for your patience and continued support and prayers. We hope to have something in place in a timely fashion.
- Athletic Update: Congratulations are extended to our Sr. Boys Basketball coach, Mr. Aaron Mitchell and the Sr. boys basketball team who finished 5th in the AAA Provincial Tournament; and to Mr. Doug Corbett and the amazing Wrestling team where the girls team finished 1st overall and we won the combined Boys and Girls Provincial Championship for the 5th year in a row.
Special thanks to our all of our other basketball Coaches: Mr. Dawson, Mr. Spanjers, Mr. Johnston, Ms Soares, Mr. Castres, Ms Lauang; Mr. Thierman; Ms. Farano; Mr. McCormick; Mr. Zimmermann; To our Curling Coaches: Mr. Bouwman & Mr. Bradshaw; To our Field Lacrosse Coaches: Mr. Peterson; Mr. Bradsen; Mr. Carvallin
- Re-Registration Update - Thank you for your cooperation with the re-registration process for the 2017-18 school year. Just like in previous years, the school is in excellent shape in terms of our student numbers at every grade level. During this process, we have identified families who are in financial need and, like we have in the past, will be doing what we can in a timely fashion in order to assist them.
- Progress Reports will be distributed on April 26th. Parents need to be aware of any subject areas where your son or daughter is at risk and contact their teacher(s) in the first instance to find out how they can successfully complete the school year.
- Blessed Edmund Rice Speech Night - Thurs. May 4th - You are invited to this annual public speaking event in which students from Gr 8-12 will be talking about a variety of topics.
- Mother’s Day Mass and Luncheon - Fri. May 12th @ 10:45 am. Please mark this special date on your calendar and make every effort to attend this wonderful event.
Once again, I thank you for your continued prayerful support of the STMC community. Live, Jesus, in our hearts forever.
Mr. Michel DesLauriers