In 1957, negotiations began between the Most Rev. Martin M. Johnston, D.D., Coadjutor Archbishop of Vancouver and Rev. Brother A.A. Loftus, Provincial Superior of the Christian Brothers in North America, to secure the Brothers to lead a new Catholic school in BC’s Lower Mainland. By 1960, an agreement was reached between the Archdiocese of Vancouver and the Christian Brothers; a site had been chosen and construction of a 10 room school had been completed. The future St. Thomas More Collegiate (STMC) was to be built in Burnaby, a short distance from St. Louis College, a school in New Westminster which the Brothers had operated for a short time some thirty years earlier.
St. Thomas More Collegiate welcomed its first student Knights in September 1960. Opening day brought together three Christian Brothers and 110 Knights enrolled in grades 7, 8 and 9. Over the years enrollment and staff grew, as did the facilities. Major construction was carried out in 1966, 1978, 1981, 1984, and with the introduction of coeducation in 1998. The school has grown to full capacity with enrollment at 675 students and now houses a state-of-the-art Fine Arts wing (2010) and Athletic facilities (2013).
Today, St. Thomas More Collegiate is a prominent member of the Catholic and civic educational communities in the Lower Mainland. This is due to STMC’s development of facilities and growth in students, faculty and staff, as well as the corresponding growth in appreciation of the Catholic educational philosophy which enlightens and sustains the spiritual, intellectual, social and athletic facets of a Knight’s education. The pioneers indeed built well, and all who have experienced the spirit of personalism and the challenge of excellence, hallmarks of a STMC education, are indebted to the many people who supported STMC throughout the years.
|PRINCIPALS OF STMC|
|1960 – 1966||Brother W G McIntrye|
|1966 – 1669||Brother W C Martin|
|1969 – 1970||Brother D Frenett|
|1970 – 1972||Brother R L Mackenzie|
|1972 – 1978||Brother C H Slattery|
|1978 – 1984||Brother Q R Carrothers|
|1984 – 1989||Brother K E Short|
|1989 – 1997||Brother H J O’Neill|
|1997 – 2000||Brother P J O’Loughlin|
|2000 – 2011||Mr. D Hall|
|2011 – 2017||Mr. M DesLauriers|
|2017 – Present||Mr. S Garland|
|PRESIDENTS OF STMC|
|2002 – 2006||Brother J Gale|
|2006 – 2009||Brother D Sanpietro|
|2015 – 2019||Mrs. N Finnie|
|2019 – Present||Ms. D Doyle|