Welcome to STMC
Thank you for taking the time to get to know St. Thomas More Collegiate (STMC). It is our privilege and responsibility to partner with STMC parents and guardians as we advance our mission.
“As a faith and learning community we are called to LEARN, LEAD and SERVE”
St. Thomas More Collegiate (STMC) is an Affiliated Catholic Independent School within the Archdiocese of Vancouver. As such, STMC provides the following context by which we enter into an agreement with the Archbishop of the Vancouver.
- STMC acknowledges, respects and values the Archbishop’s authority and is grateful for his approval for STMC to operate as a Catholic School in the tradition of a Blessed Edmund Rice School.
- STMC retains the accountability to set mission, vision, values and strategic plans that align with Catholic values and the mission and values of our Founders. Within this context, our board sets policies regarding the operation of the school and the recruitment, evaluation, development and compensation of our staff.
- STMC was founded in 1960 with the approval of the Archbishop of RCAV and demonstrates the Essential Elements of a Blessed Edmund Rice School.
- STMC values a united voice for Catholic Schools. STMC seeks to work collaboratively with other Catholic educational institutions and with the leadership of CISVA and FISA in the sharing of expertise, educational opportunities and policy development. STMC will offer our expertise to contribute to CISVA and FISA planning and program / policy development.
STMC expects to receive communication from CISVA regarding issues and opportunities relevant to Catholic Education. STMC will access CISVA services as the school requires and will augment / replace these with our own in-house or contracted services.
- STMC will provide an annual report to the Archbishop outlining the curricular and extracurricular activities and programs which demonstrate STMC’s alignment to Catholic Teachings, commitment to excellence and the advancement of our stated Mission, Vision and Values.
- STMC follows the Christian Education curriculum of the CISVA schools.
- STMC welcomes an opportunity to meet with the Archbishop at least annually.
As an Edmund Rice Christian Brothers School STMC integrates the Essential Elements of the Blessed Edmund Rice Christian Brothers.
I. Evangelize Youth Within the Mission of the Church
- Proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ in word and deed
- Permeate the entire curriculum, activities, and all aspects of the educational process with the Gospel message of Jesus Christ
- Encourage young people to a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ
- Provide opportunities for liturgies, retreats, vocation awareness workshops and daily prayer
II. Proclaim and Witness to Catholic Identity
- Give priority to religious instruction with opportunities for faith development and religious understanding
- Participate in the sacramental life of the Church and model a living faith through the use of rituals and symbols
- Foster devotion to Mary and the communion of the saints
- Ensure that Catholic identity permeates all endeavours: all classes and activities, procedures and policies, services and programs
III. Stand in Solidarity with Those Marginalized by Poverty and Injustice
- Promote policies and structures that reflect a climate of compassion for the poor and disadvantaged
- Include advocacy for peace, justice, global awareness and care for the Earth
- Prepare students to work toward the creation of a just society
- Encourage ministry experiences that work with and serve the poor and marginalized
- Support mission areas at home and abroad
- Establish tuition and scholarship policies that open educational opportunities to the poor and disadvantaged
IV. Foster and Invigorate a Community of Faith
- Provide a disciplined, safe atmosphere in which students are free to grow and take responsibility for their own learning and for the life of the community
- Sustain compassionate, respectful relationships among all stakeholders
- Be in union with the Church through commitment to service and formation of community
- Encourage faculty and staff to give daily witness to their integral role in communal faith formation
- Embrace the human condition and welcome God’s healing
V. Celebrate the Value and Dignity of each Person and Nurture the Development of the Whole Person
- Promote respect for each individual as created in the image and likeness of God
- Value the diversity of the human family and seek to reflect diversity among students, faculty and staff
- Promote strong programs for personal, professional and pastoral care
- Offer co-curricular activities that are important to a student’s holistic education
- Strive to provide just remuneration for faculty and staff
VI. Collaborate and Share Responsibility for the Mission
- Empower all members of the community to share in the mission
- Work with parents who are the primary educators
- Collaborate with Edmund Rice Christian Brother ministries on local, regional and international levels
- Foster a deeper understanding of the vision of Blessed Edmund Rice
- Promote active participation in governance by boards and diocesan officials
VII. Pursue Excellence in all Endeavours
- Promote a strong academic curriculum and cultivate a desire for excellence
- Develop an educational culture that fosters the growth of the whole person, higher-order thinking and life-long learning
Live, Jesus, in our hearts…forever.